ORIGINS OF COLD SPRING CAMP
In 1915 Cobb and Cosden bought
all the waters belonging to the Restigouche Salmon Club located between the upper
boundary of Mann's Pool and the lower boundaries of the
club. A distance of about one mile. The club pools at that time were - STATION, JIM'S ROCK, THREE
ISLANDS, HOME, CLARK'S BROOK, MCKEIL, MANN, PRENTICE AND MILL.
Following the death of Mr. Cobb, Cold Spring Camp was left to his grandson, George Washington Hill II. GW Hill II passed the camp on to his father, GW Hill senior, who at the time was president of the American Tobacco Company. The senior Mr. Hill made the camp his summer home for many years, until his death. A photo of him - not practicing conservation -- is shown at the right.
Mr. Hill died at the Camp in the summer of 1946. Once again the Cold Spring was left to his son George W. Hill Jr.
In 1947 GW Hill Jr sold the property and fishing rights to his good friend Andrew Fraser - a lawyer from New York City. Mr. Fraser purchased the abutting Alexander water and added a number of pools to Cold Spring. He fished at the camp for 19 years until 1966 when it was sold to John G. Martin, the founder of Heublein Spirits.
Mr Martin, being prescient in many areas, bought fifteen reels from a stranger traveling down the river one day - and even today Cold Spring has those fifteen Bogdan reels; and until his death Stan Bogdan still returned to fish on the Cold Spring waters.
After spending fourteen summers at the Camp, in 1980, Mr. Martin sold the property to George Washington Hill's daughter, Mary Hill Randolph. Mrs. Randolph made Cold Spring her summer home again until her death. In 1985 she received a national fly fishing award for her work on salmon conservation. Mary's Pool is named for her.
Cold Spring Camp has been operating as a private club and fishing camp for over a hundred years.